Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
June 10, 2008
Summer State High School Basketball Championship
Boys and Girls
Background: The Grand Canyon State Games (GCSG) now in it's 15th year is a member of the National Congress of State Games, and the Western Region of the State Games of the America. GCSG has become the largest State Games of its kind, hosting medal competition in more than 50 sports annually involving more than 38,000 participants. Basketball represents the 2nd largest contingent amongst the 50 sports and includes tournaments for Men, Women, Boys and Girls.
State High School Basketball Championship: The Grand Canyon State Games will be holding a Summer State High School Basketball Championship for Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Frosh Boys and Girl's on Sunday June 22, 2008 to be held at our GCSG Tournament games sites at the conclusion of our International Games 2008. The structure of this Championship event will be as follows:
1. Teams would qualify for this Championship through established Boys and Girls High School Summer League Play or Tournaments with each qualifying competition sending two teams from each of three divisions, Varsity, JV, and Frosh divisions to the Grand Canyon State Games Summer State Championships.
2. Summer Leagues or Tournaments from around the State that choose to partner with the Grand Canyon State Games will retain all funds generated from their own qualifying tournaments.
3. Sanctioned qualifying leagues or tournaments will serve as pool play on the Friday/Saturday prior to the Sunday Championship on June 22nd, or in the case of a Summer League other date parameters, to determine which two teams qualify from each of three divisions, Varsity, JV, and Frosh divisions. This decision will be left of up to the individual sanctioned event partner's.
4. Sunday's Championship will be a single elimination event to crown a Summer High School State Champion for Boys, and Girls in the Varsity, JV and Frosh divisions.
5. Varsity, JV and Freshman Teams may qualify by:
a) By placing 1st in your pool at the GCSG International Summer Games 2008 (June 20-21st, 2008) qualifying Varsity, JV, or Frosh tournament event (entry fee $300/ 3 game guarantee). Register online at www.gcsg.org
b) Placing 1st or 2nd, or as determined by the event host from a established AZ High School Summer Tournament at no cost.
c) If you are a participant in an established High School Summer League, and at the discretion of the League coordinator, you can register directly for this single elimination event at a cost of $200 by directly contacting Commissioner Alan Lambert. All HS Summer Leagues will be allotted two slots for each of the Varsity, JV, and Frosh divisions.
6. All officials, staffing and execution of the Grand Canyon State High School Summer Championship event on June 22nd, 2008 will be the sole responsibility of GCSG.
7. All teams that participate in any Grand Canyon State Games basketball tournament are automatically eligible to compete in the State Games of the West held July 24-27, 2008 in Colorado Springs, Colorado (see attached flyer). Medalists from the State Games of the West, also qualify for the State Games of America in August 2009.
8. Summer State HS Basketball Championship tournament will be played according to High School association rules with the exception of a running clock outside of the last two minutes of the 2nd half.
If you are interested in participating in this GCSG Summer High School State Championship as part of our GCSG International Summer Games 2008 as a established league or tournament event, or simply as a direct entrant, please contact Alan Lambert, Basketball Commissioner at 480-319-2445 (cell), 480-517-9700 (office) or e-mail at email@example.com. More info and Entry Form linked above.